Sunday, February 16, 2014

The One Where Home Is Where The Heart Is

Midterm is here!!!

Okay it's Sunday so midterm is pretty much over but..

Rather I’ve been on midterm for the past few coupla’ days. So sadly I don’t have any story directly related to kiddies and my job. But still. You’re here. So read on!

So for the past couple of days I’ve been at my brothers’ house<<<is that plural? Because I’m talking about 2 brothers not one ‘brother is’. Okay, grammar nazi lesson is not working so..yes..I’ve been at my brotherses house and I couldn’t help but compare the lifestyle of living in the city (relatively) vis a vis the ‘burbs (relatively).

(P.S. just googled ‘plural of brothers’ and it told me brethren. I can’t! I’m not Shakespeare’s ancestor, and I didn’t contribute to King James bible. So let’s just stick to brotherses and you’ll understand what I’m saying).

I’ve always wanted to live in an apartment, where you share parking, can’t hold parties or have too many people over (either because of space or because of mean neighbours who don’t respond to your invite for dinner but instead want to watch crime channel and feel sorry for themselves).


Where everything is so tucked in and cozy and cleaning the house is not a full day event. Where dogs are not allowed and showering is a scheduled event.
Wait. You may see a dog or two.

Where a desk can be used as a wardrobe, storage device, book shelf and dinner table. I love it!l

So I’m doing a small poll on which is better: Living in the ‘burbs vs. Living in the city. So here goes...

  1. The city has no ghosts but the ‘burbs does. 
    City 1-‘burbs 0
  1. The ‘burbs is quiet. Past few days I’ve been woken up by matatu (Public Transport Vehicle) sounds from like 4am. Where I live, it’s the birds chirping and the leaves whistling. Maybe even a deer. Or the Sound Of Music.


City 1-‘burbs 1

  1. The ‘burbs have rats. I think rats can’t hack city life. So the city has other critters, like ‘roaches and ants-which are manageable-but thankfully no rats. Which are basically angry tenants that don’t pay rent but have high demands. (like they eat all the food, run around at night, try to watch t.v with you-but they don’t like your shows-so basically they just run around and scare the rats poo outta you).


City 2-‘burbs 1

  1. The ‘burbs have space. Really, you all know that the space is different. No offence. Called apartments but half of the time we’re..like..really close together :O :-D.


City 2-‘burbs 2

  1. The stairs >_<. Apartment 7 is not a lucky apartment at all. It’s 7 flights of stairs up.


So.I don’t know. But also, it’s good because it means my quads and glutes and hamstrings and calves and other parts are getting fit atleast twice a day (5 times if you forget your key/purse/handbag/anything important like I often do). The ‘burbs don’t really have that luxury of coerced fitness. You have to decide to wake up at 4am and jog round your neighbourhood amidst other depressed obese folk.



 So it’s a win-win for both!
City 5-‘burbs 5

But disclaimer-I loved staying with my brethren for the past coupla days. It was like old times. Except we were cooped up in an apartment not playing basketball or rollerblading in the driveway (how Barbie do we sound there).

But I loved it.

And I’m greatful for their hospitality.
Even though the ‘burbs cleans itself up, and miraculously has food. Clothes in the ‘burb are washed for you, and it miraculously has food. I loved everything about hanging out with the brethren.


I don’t know where I’d wanna live eventually-Penthouse in New York City (by that I mean Ngong Road) or Ranch in Texas (by that I mean Nanyuki) but the experience was cool. I like the city because power never goes out. I like the ‘burbs because dogs are allowed. Wait, dogs are allowed in the city. But not the same kinda dogs as the ‘burbs. Oh well. I like the ‘burbs because there is parking space. Loads. I like the city because you can eat anything you want-for cheap: Fish, Pilau, Nyamchom (roasted meat). Everything is near and around you. 

In the ‘burbs I travel a thousand miles to get to the nearest petrol station (‘sorta). It is hardship!

But anywho..


I’m curious to hear your opinions too. Whatchu’ think? And where you live-‘burbs or city? Don’t worry I won’t stalk you. 








Everyday.











No comments:

Post a Comment