Thursday, March 20, 2014

The One With The Slide

There’s this little child, a girl, about 2 years 10 months old. She’s sorta new to school and the school system and so hasn’t quite adjusted. She's alright :)


So once during play time I happened to observe her so I could be able to see how she’s settling in. I noticed she loved to run around and jump and crawl and follow the other children who knew the ropes (literally) around the playground. Anyway, I also noticed she had this peculiar peculiarity about her. And it got me thinking, 


“what’s for lunch today”. 

What is for lunch though?

Anyway, little girl would climb the steps up the slide with such eagerness and fervor and joy and other words that mean the same as the ones I’ve written, then once at the top, she’d freeze. She’d panic, look at me, look at the kids below, look at those behind her, pushing her-eager to get their turn, then start wailing.






She did not move until I got to her and helped her slide down. Once she had slid down (with my help) she would eagerly clap, and satisfied I’d go back and sit down. Only to watch her skip back to the slide steps and climb that long climb again. This time I thought she was over the initial apprehension and trauma but the same routine occured. Again.








And again..







And again, 5000 times again..








I told her to go play somewhere else. “Go to the play house or the sand pit”. Yet still she’d come back to ‘THE GREAT SLIDE'(which is pretty much the length of me..or slightly longer..idk..I suck at measurements)


If I was those people who gather deep meanings out of everything I’d probably quote:

‘Life is a slide. Climb up knowing you will eventually need to come down’

Or

‘If you’re scared of the great slide, don’t climb the ladder’

Or

‘Life is a giant slide that scares the crap out of us’

Or

‘Life is short. Why keep going back to the stuff that scares the crap out of us?’

Thankfully I’m not. If I was, this post would really just be a cheesy, awkwardly deep but really quite shallow sort of post, and you’d be forced to like it because everyone else likes it and has shared it as #Deep, and you’d wonder why you’re not as deep as everyone else yet everyone else likes it and thus is much deeper than you.


I just wrote it because the little girl made me laugh and think, “Human beings in general are quite silly. If she’s scared of the slide then why does she keep climbing it”.

*UPDATE* more recently I observed her again and saw her climb up the slide with confidence and slide down with even more confidence (too much really, she almost toppled over). Feel free to conclude whatever moral of the story you want.










No comments:

Post a Comment